While the uninformed generally think of blocking as simply putting a shield between you and an attacker's weapon, true masters of the art know that blocking is all about deflecting a strike, angling your shield so that your foe's weapon slides away harmlessly, possibly leaving them off-balance and open to a counter attack. Each attack can be countered either by block or by dodge, never both at the same time. Therefore, most warriors choose to concentrate on one of these defensive skills.
Adding to Defense
|Defense Rating Breakdown = (Base + Skill Level x 10 + Stat Bonus + Constitution Bonus + Training + Armor Penalty + Other Penalty)|
- Base: Block gets a base of 25; Dodge gets 0.
- Despite the mouse-over tip, the governing attribute is Constitution, not Strength. The developers changed this as it gave too much advantage to strength builds. 
- It's assumed that when a shield's DR fall to 0, blocking is no longer possible (need verification).
|Perfect_block_chance = passive + 50 - THC |
- Perfect blocks prevent all damage, including ADC (Armor Denting Chance) checks.
- Non-Perfect blocks might incur DR damage on shields.
Passive - % chance to negate all damage.
|1||3%||A quick prayer is the best way to avoid being hit.|
|2||7%||4A prayer helps, but raising a shield every once in a while tends to help a bit more.|
|3||12%||Just keep the shield raised – you never know when someone might take a swing at you.|
|4||17%||Practice makes perfect - strike and block, strike and block, shield's up, shield's down...|
|5||23%||You're getting the hang of it. Keep it up and you might live a bit longer than you thought.|
|6||29%||Better than average. And still alive. Better drink to that because the ‘still alive’ part might change without notice.|
|7||36%||You've finally learned to read the telltale signs of an incoming attack.|
|8||43%||You're a one man shieldwall.|
|9||51%||You've become almost impossible to hit.|
|10||60%||You've mastered the art of hiding behind a wooden board strapped to your arm.|