In a world rife with conflict, those with martial skills are never idle for long. Most mercenaries take on personal contracts with individual clients, although they are occasionally embroiled in the greater machinations of the Noble Houses. Determined by gold, their allegiance lies with the highest bidder.
Unless you plan on being hired by the rich and powerful and having all of the highest-quality combat gear just handed to you - or if you just want to be able to repair it in the field - Crafting is a must. At least a little bit of Alchemy is excellent for salve if you ever expect to be going without rest between fights - not to mention the fighting boosts you can get from other medicines, poisoned weapons or explosives ...
The classic merc combination is swinging with an Axe and Blocking with a shield, but only you can decide what your character is most comfortable (or at least experienced) with. There are bound to be situations where a Whirlwind full of sledgehammer would be more effective than thrusting a gladius from behind an infantry shield ...
Initial Faction Rep
|Boatmen of Styx||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
- Bronze Auxiliary Armor
- Bronze Auxiliary Helmet
- 3 Nets
- 1 dose Healing Salve
- Bronze Sefet
- Buckler (unless see below)
- based on Skill choices -
- if you have put any points into a ranged weapon Skill and no points into any melee weapon Skills: Bronze Gladius and your highest-level ranged weapon (as listed below)
- if Dodge is at a higher skill level than Block, you will not start with the Buckler
- if any weapon skill is at 2 or higher, then according to whichever skill level is highest (if there is a tie, the first in listed order 'wins'):
- Dagger: Bronze Khanjar
- Sword: Bronze Handar
- Axe: Bronze Skeggox
- Hammer: Bronze Spiked Club
- Spear: Bronze Hasta
- Bow: Short Bow & 25 Regular Missiles
- Crossbow: Hand Crossbow & 25 Regular Missiles
- Throwing: 25 Bronze Karda
- e.g. If you have Dagger 3 and Axe 3, you'll start with the Khanjar but not with the Skeggox; if you have Axe 4 and Bow 4, you'll start with the Skeggox but not with the Short Bow; if you have Throwing 4 and Block 5, you'll start with 25 Karda and the Gladius; if you have Throwing 4 and Dodge 5, you'll start with 25 Karda and the Gladius but no Buckler; etc.
The front room of The Last Meal